Thursday, September 14, 2017

F4U-4 Lancer II Reno Air Races

Once upon a time, I was the pit crew on F4U-4 BuNo 97259 at the 1967 Reno Air Races. When I say "the" pit crew, I was it. The rest of the team were the co-owners, Gene Akers and Mac Mendoza. Gene was the pilot and Mac was the head (and only) mechanic.

When I met them, N6667 was parked behind a hangar at Fox Field, Lancaster, California and I was working as a McDonnell flight test engineer at Edwards AFB.

It had come a long way from its disposal by the Navy, circa 1960.

June 1967

I volunteered to be their pit crew at Reno for room and board that year. It was a shoestring operation, including the first paint job.

If you look closely at this picture, you'll see that the right tire is missing.  Another Corsair arrived with a failing engine and the pilot blew a tire when he landed. We loaned it to his crew to get him off the runway.

 Basically, all we did was fill the oil and check the gas between races. Gene and Mac were there with their wives and went to bed early. I went into Reno with some of the other crews.
A couple of mornings I made a functional check of the oxygen system in a vain attempt to accelerate the end of a hangover.

This picture was taken 22 September 1967. I'm at the left wheel, ready to pull the chocks.

For the 1968 race (I wasn't there; I had gone back east to graduate school), Gene and Mac found a sponsor to give it a real paint job.
Several years ago, I looked up Mac and asked him what color it was. He didn't remember, other than it was a "bright green" that was picked from color chips at the aircraft paint shop they took it to.


More later...

5 comments:

  1. Hi. Would you happen to remember what the ~1967 era seat belts were? Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golly - that was a long time ago. Since I don't remember, though, it's likely that they were standard issue: shoulder harness with links on the end that went into the overcenter mechanism (snap over lever) on the seat belt that was on top of a big rectangular leather pad.

      Delete
  2. Thanks! Working on a 1:48 model of it. Very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this history! Very cool stuff. Whatever happened to Gene? I'm working on a model of it as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gene died several years ago - I don't have any details

      Delete